Brighton School has introduced an exciting and innovative secondary school program to meet the needs of a wide variety of students. It is a five to seven year program designed to meet the needs of students who are identified with an Exceptionality (i.e., Autism Spectrum Disorder, Learning Disability or Language Impairment, or Mild Intellectual Disability). It includes a uniquely designed modified or alternative program for part or all of the day, with options for credit-bearing courses for up to four periods each day. Courses are full year and both credit courses and non-credit courses are offered. The emphasis of this program is on developing independence and a gradual transition to the workplace, using the Ontario Skills Passport as a guide. At age 16, students will have the opportunity to participate in a Work Experience program to introduce them to the world of employment.
The goal of the Brighton Secondary program is to provide opportunities for students to develop:
- Basic literacy and math skills
- Social skills necessary for appropriate social interaction with others in the community and the workplace
- Independence, self-confidence, self-discipline and self-advocacy
- Employability skills
Our program is also ideal for students who require an extra year of consolidation and remediation after grade 8 before transitioning to a full high school program.
Secondary students pursuing an Ontario Secondary School Certificate (OSSC) may enroll in up to four secondary school credit courses per year. Courses will be offered at the Locally Developed and the Open course levels. Students receive a high level of support in their classes, with their homework, and with their organizational and time management skills.
Secondary students focusing on the Certificate of Accomplishment (non-credit) program are involved in an activity-based program that is centred on the Ontario Skills Passport (OSP). The Ontario Skills Passport (OSP) emphasizes the essential skills and work habits important for work, learning and life. These “essential skills” are used in virtually all occupations and are transferable from school to work, and job to job. We focus on providing opportunities for our students to develop, hone and apply these skills in a supportive environment. Through their experiential learning, they will be better prepared for entering the workforce.
Students are taught by professional, enthusiastic teachers with Special Ed qualifications. Brighton is inspected and accredited by the Ministry of Education.
Brighton Secondary School offers:
* Flexible pathways - students' goals and destinations may change as they continue to develop. Brighton's programs are structured so that students are not limited by their starting place, or pace.
* Semestered courses with some courses designated as full year
* Small classes, averaging a student:staff ratio of 6:1
* Remediation available in math & language skills
* Homework assistance daily
* Assistive Technology programs available on all computers throughout the school
* Wireless environment
* Learning Strategies course focused on study skills, organization skills and time management
* Cooperative Education & Work Experience programs in senior years
* Guidance & Career Counseling available onsite
* Gymnasium, stage
* Outdoor recreational space
For more information about enrollment or to book a personal meeting and tour, please contact:
mhitz @ brightonschool.ca
May 23; 7:00 - 9:00
All Brighton parents invited!
Brighton Spirit Day!
May 31; 1:30 - 3:30
Wear your house colours
Brighton Teachers are walking for Autism research on Sunday, June 14. Please help support Autism Speaks, and sponsor our teachers by following this link and searching for "Team Brighton."
Calendar of Events
Wednesday, May 15
Friday, May 17
School closes at 12:45 for Victoria Day weekend
Monday, May 20
School Closed Victoria Day
Thursday, May 23, 7-9:00
Volunteer Appreciation Garden Party
Tuesday, May 28
Friday, May 31
Spirit Day, wear your school colours!
Monday, June 3
#1 Dress Day/Last week for Term 3 after school clubs
Wednesday, June 5
Brighton Parent Committee Meeting
Thursday, June 13
Pizza Lunch and School Picnic
Friday, June 14
10:00 Closing Ceremony
School closes at 12:00 for summer